Search This Blog

Pages

Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Freedom from Marital Bondage

Yesterday marked the second anniversary of my freedom from marital bondage.

Even though I am not quite free, because the court has not awarded the decree, I still feel free.

It was a chilly Thursday afternoon, the day I decided that i could no longer postpone setting myself free. I had not informed anyone, not even my closest friends about what I had been cpntemplating until that sad Thursday afternoon.

As the day progressed, however, I knew I had to tell him that I was leaving.

It turned out to be one of the easiest things I had ever had to do. When the time came to tell him, I was not short of words to say to him. For a moment I was not concerned about hurting his feelings, it did not matter anymore.

I still remember the look on his eyes! But even that look did not deter me from what I wanted to say. I was more calm than most of the times I had had to reason with him. I did not even care about where I was going. All I knew at that point, was that my happiness depended on me leaving the space I had shared with him for nine years.

That evening, it was not defeat that lingered in the air, but triumph. It felt like the pain that I had had to endure all those years was finally soothed by just one sentence that I said with unbelievable conviction, "I am leaving, and I am never coming back!" Ngasho ngashaya isishwapha sami ngayosithela!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment