Search This Blog

Pages

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

I am in Alice

I did say I was moving back home hey....I am in Alice, my hometown. Like I said in my previous post, iRhawuti made me realise I had overstayed my welcome! I won't dwell---that's not the cow I'm slaughtering today.

Never in my wildest of dreams did I see myself creating a livelihood in this sleepy town. Whilst it is still early days, it does seem like it's almost dawn.

I have been here for just over a month, yet I am already busy with an assignment---but yet again, that's not the cow we a slaughtering today. Did I mention I found the victorian style house (check previous post). I saw a jewel the first time I went to view this house, yet the locals had no interest in it. I could see why. The yard was dismally unkempt. The house itself had a haunted look. But believe me, after a month of repairing and fixing, the house promises to be a lovely home for my family. It has wooden windows that you pull up or down to open and close. It has white wooden ceilings. The rooms have wooden floors---real wood---I really like the sound of footsteps on wooden floors. I cannot wait to move in already!

Life in this town is simpler than the word simple. I still have a picture in my head of the graduation weekend at the University of Fort Hare. Believe me when I say, you could swear the angels of darkness had landed in Alice. Proud graduates were walking up and down the town as if this is a norm. You would come across them at Banks, supermarkets, etc. going on with their business ---IN THEIR GRADUATION REGALIA! The sight of young people wearing black gowns catching taxis humbled me. It reminded me that not everyone is privileged to come from a home that owns a car. But most importantly, these young people had achieved the most useful achievement ever --- Higher Education. The sound of women ullulating, cars beeping horns made me proud to be a part of a community of REAL PEOPLE! Believe me when I say 'Only in Alice'!

I have been laughing since arriving here. What is regarded to be a decent hang-out spot to have drinks, 'KwaMphathi'----you bring your own glass! Need I say more? The cows this side of the country are the most stubborn creatures I know---they own the main roads!

I have discovered a hangout spot for myself about 10kms from my village---Hogsback. There is a variety of pubs on this lovely mountain. It reminds me of Brokeback Mountain! Here, you forget there is Black and White...the White folk you will find at the pubs are only to happy to welcome you to join them----genuinely so!

Only problem----Tamela---my three year old cannot get over the fact that there is a serious lack of White people around here! She's asked me more than once, "Khanya abekho abeLungu la. Why?"....

I'm keeping an open mind---so far so good though!

1 comment: