Search This Blog

Pages

Thursday, October 8, 2009

Do you know your calling?

Do you know if your vocation is your calling? Does it even matter to you? Does your vocation 'feed' you or 'drain' you? Do you look forward to Mondays or do you dread them?

Many of us have more than once set on the journey of finding one's self. Our era is blessed with information that is disseminated via several platforms of media. There are more than enough malls in each city where notable bookshops are spread like mushrooms in a grassy loan on a warm dewy morning. With more and more citizens having access to cable TV, the number of good talk-shows where more information is disseminated has also increased. I have learnt so much from shows like Oprah, Dr Phil, etc.

I don't know if I am the only one, but I do enjoy spending time at the local CNA/Exclusice Books (etc.) aisles just paging through various book offerings without having to buy. Everyone living in the North of Joburg will know that driving from Fourways to any direction is a nightmare. Radio 702 and SA FM have made my morning drives bearable---I love talk shops!

The point I'm trying to get at is that, with so much information available, and having access to all the platforms of information dissemination, why do I find myself still lost and confused?

I tease you not, I am losing patience and faith here! What is wrong with me? Why is it that other people get it right from the first time? In 10 years, I'm on my 7th job already. It has come to a point where I cannot even blame the employer anymore. Yes! I know the problem is me!

To make matters worse, I know for a fact that I am not the only one feeling this way! At all the Phuza Thursdays, Girlfriend Fridays, Slumber parties (yeah...i'm lucky enough to have friends who are still into slumber parties), this issue is always lucky enough to find itself part of our discussions!

Were my school teachers wrong about me? Why did they make me believe that I was going to be something of note one day? All those maths problems we had to solve, the history dates we had to remember, those Biology drawings we had to cram into our heads----for what? Gosh, was I not scared to fail Zulu (because if you did, you would have failed the grade), whoopp we went on and on memorising "Izigaba zamabizo"---I still remember---Umu-; Aba-; Ubu-; Imi.....Where were you when we were memorising the Periodic Table?

All of this for what? Paying FNB bond, Wesbank car, Eskom and getting a few consumables from Pick 'n Pay? It does not stop there ---- to enjoy TV you must give some thing to Multi-Choice (SABC TV license is also calling to remind you every month); MaKhumalo is also waiting for her ration for minding my child! It goes on and on!

Sometimes you hear of people who cracked the big time, when they are asked how they did it ---"It's all about being at the right place at the right time", they will say. How nice---what about me? Am I always at the right place wrong time, wrong place wrong time, what, heh?

The sad thing is knowing that the world we live in is run by people who at most occupy positions they have not been called for by forces of the universe. That is why service delivery is so crappy! People who should be ploughing fields or driving municipal lorries and disposing waste are occupying positions of power. What do they do whe they get there? They market Jimmy Choo, fill their pockets with my 14% VAT contribution, whilst I'm toiling away producing reports that nobody wants to read!

Don't worry, I will keep on looking out for my calling....I better find it before my first wrinkle!

Had I not started with breeding brats, I kid you not, I would have long packed my bags to the Antartica!

My creator saw it long before me....he decided to give me these brats in order to make sure that I am firmly grounded! I thank him for that!

Congratulations to all of you who have found their true vocations!

No comments:

Post a Comment